Christopher C.S. Blattner
Chris’s practice focuses on corporate and business transactions, contract negotiations, intellectual property compliance and enforcement, real estate, and business and commercial litigation.
Some of Chris’s representative matters include:
- Insurance: Represented a company who's insurer denied coverage on a commercial specialty policy. Matter was settled after one year of federal court litigation in favor of Chris's client for a six figure amount.
- Partnership: Represented an ousted partner from a business partnership. The matter was settled after depositions with a substantial 6 figure recovery by Chris’s client as well as mutual releases of claims.
- Commercial Real Estate: Represented a long-time client who was the purchaser in a complex real estate fraud/breach of contract matter involving a Section 1031 acquisition of a commercial office complex. The case took over 5 years to resolve, first within the JAMS arbitration system where our client prevailed after a 10-day hearing with a 7-figure award, and later in California state court to confirm and defend the award from challenges by the defendants. The case was ultimately settled before judgment was entered in the state court action. Chris’s client was awarded substantial damages, costs, and attorney’s fees.
- Residential Real Estate: Represented the plaintiff who was cheated out of title to her home by a mortgage rescue scam operation. After nearly 5 years of litigation in state court against the scammers and the lenders that financed them, Chris’s client recovered title to her house, a new 30-year mortgage at favorable rates, damages, and attorney’s fees.
- Trade Secret/Design Infringement: Represented an Oregon manufacturer who had its patented machine design copied by a foreign competitor. After 2 years of chasing the defendant in 3 countries, Chris’s client sued in Federal Court and was able to settle the case for substantial 6 figure damages after depositions were taken in Europe.
- Scuba Liability Defense: Successfully defended scuba instructors, shops, and various national certifying associations in Washington and Oregon courts for over 10 years against 7 figure claims for negligence and wrongful death. Two of Chris’s clients’ defense verdicts were upheld on appeal, creating new law in both states favorable to the scuba industry.
- Represented seller on a $37.5 million sale of a complex commercial property that included a substantial construction defect repair as condition of sale.
- $4.5 million leveraged ESOP plus 3 strategic purchases of competitors in excess of $8 million for a manufacturing client over the last 20 years.
- Stopped foreclosure and structured $7.5 million refinance of a 126 unit apartment building for a developer client.
- Stopped foreclosure and structured a $350,000 short sale for a 9 lot subdivision with no deficiency to a developer client.
- Served as lead counsel for a partnership that financed and purchased 300 agricultural acres on Maui and developed a visionary 15 lot luxury subdivision surrounding a 200-acre organic farm.
- Formed and represents a hospitality company in all aspects of business, including, property acquisitions, contracting, and intellectual property matters.
- Serves as corporate counsel to more than 100 companies in the Pacific Northwest.
Chris is now of counsel to Motschenbacher & Blattner LLP having served as partner since 1999. Prior to joining the firm, Chris was the owner and founder of Christopher C.S. Blattner, P.C., where his primary practice areas included civil litigation and business matters, business and insurance litigation, scuba liability defense, corporate and business transactions, real estate, and intellectual property registration and protection. Chris has been in private practice for more than 40 years.
Lewis & Clark Northwestern School of Law, Portland, Oregon
Juris Doctorate, 1981
Outstanding oral advocate for appellate moot court program, 1979
Associate instructor for legal writing and reasoning course, 1980-1981
Willamette University, Salem, Oregon
Bachelor of Science, 1978
Oregon State Bar Association, 1982
Washington State Bar Association, 1995
U.S. District Court, Oregon, 1986
U.S. District Court, Washington, 1996
U.S. Supreme Court, 1988
Oregon Super Lawyer, 2010-Present
Martindale-Hubbell rated A-V Preeminent, 1995-Present
Professional Designations and Memberships:
American Bar Association, Member, 1982-1984
Clark County Bar Association, Member, 1995-1996
Multnomah County Bar Association, Member, Golf Committee, 1985-1994
Multnomah County Bar Association, Chairman, Golf Committee, 1988-1990
Oregon Association of Defense Counsel, Member, 1992-1995
PADI SCUBA Defense Panel, Member, 1987-Present
NASD Dispute Resolution Panel, Public Arbiter, 2001-2010
Boy Scout Golf Marathon, Co-Chairman and Participant, 2008-2010
Complementary Healthcare Plans, Inc., Director, 2002-Present
Complementary Healthcare Plans, Inc., Chairman, 2022-Present
Complementary Healthcare Plans, Inc., Vice Chairman, 2009-Present
Mexico Youth House Construction Caravan, Supervisor/Chaperone, 2000
Moreland Presbyterian Youth Committee, Board Member, 1996-2000
PYSA Youth Soccer, Coach, 1985-1992
Riverside Country Club, President, 2009-2010
Riverside Country Club, Vice President, 2008-2009
Riverside Country Club, Director, 2006-2008
Outside the office, Chris enjoys leisure time with his wife Cindy, their kids and grandkids, and is an avid golfer and sailor. He and Cindy are working at becoming proficient cooks, musicians, and world travelers.