Anthony J. Motschenbacher
Tony serves as corporate counsel to more than 350 companies in the Pacific Northwest. He is proud that he is considered a lawyer’s lawyer amongst his peers, serving as business and corporate counsel to twelve Portland area law firms. Tony has a reputation for providing long-term, personalized service to small and large privately held businesses, and has helped transition small companies into large companies and large companies into small companies. Tony has also successfully helped transition family businesses to the next generation.
Some of Tony’s representative matters include:
- General Counsel to a Jiffy Lube franchisee for 30 years. Representing the company from initial formation with four stores in Portland to assisting in all business and legal aspects of growing the company to operating 40 stores in 10 cities and becoming National Franchisee of the Year.
- General Counsel for one of the largest Carl's Jr's and Hardees in thirteen states. Represented the company for over 10 years.
- General Counsel for 33 years to a family business operating an oil company with 25 sites in 21 cities. Involved in all aspects of family business, including operation of company owned gas stations and leased stations. Lead counsel in successful transition of ownership and operations between family generations.
- General Counsel for over 33 years to the largest woman-owned business in Oregon.
- General Counsel to many professionals including CPA firms, law firms, doctors, hydrologists, veterinarians, and dentists.
- General Counsel to multiple local restaurants, including 3 different restaurants that have each been named Portland’s Restaurant of the Year in the last 10 years;
- General Counsel to multiple manufacturing companies, a steel company, a telecommunication provider, real estate developers, contractors, building suppliers, an outdoor store, and convenience stores.
- General Counsel to oodles of small “mom and pop” businesses, helping with every-day legal issues and every-day business concerns.
Tony is a founder and partner of Motschenbacher & Blattner LLP, leading the firm’s business and real estate departments. Tony’s practice focuses on corporate and business transactions, real estate, contract negotiations, employment issues, tax, and construction law. Prior to forming Motschenbacher & Blattner, Tony was an associate with the law firms of Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt and Preston Gates & Ellis. Tony has served as Adjunct Professor for Business Law at Portland State University since 2012.
Willamette University College of Law, Salem, Oregon
Juris Doctorate, magna cum laude, 1990
Class Standing: 3/127
Associate Editor, Willamette Law Review, Moot Court Board
High Papers: Constitutional Law, Civil Procedure, Federal Taxation, Corporate Finance, Commercial Transactions
University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon
Bachelor of Science, Double Major, Finance and Management, 1987
Class Standing: Top 10 percent
Awarded Faculty Nomination, Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Society for Academic excellence and class leadership
Oregon State Bar Association, 1990
Washington State Bar Association, 1992
Professional Designations and Memberships:
Recognized as Oregon Super Lawyer, 2009-Present
Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating: AV (highest attainable rating)
Oregon State Board of Bar Examiners, 1999-2002, Vice Chairman, 2001-2002
Tony is very active with youth sports. He has been a baseball manager for numerous Little League, Babe Ruth and high school baseball teams, interacting with many hostile parents. He has also been a basketball and baseball coach at Lincoln High School. Tony also served as Trustee with First Christian Church. Tony enjoys spending leisure time with his family impersonating Clark Griswold as the family tours around in the family R.V. and has visited the RV to all 49 states in the USA (other than Hawaii) and also eight territories of Canada.